Sunday, June 21, 2009

Once upon A Fairy Tale



Good evening everyone

I’m having a problem to tell a bedtime story for my little brother tonight. I’ve told him too much story until I have lack of idea to find another story for him. I think I need to google it though or maybe this week I have to go to mph to buy any interesting book. The most important is the story must have moral value for him. I want him to learn while hearing my story, not just lie down and then sleep. Speaking of that, sometimes I think there’s certain fairy tale story like Cinderella, Repunzel, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty are a bit ridiculous. LOL :D



“Once upon a time, in a far, far away, there live a beautiful princess in a beautiful castle—and they live happily ever after.”



From the line above, as we can see a fairy tale always put a very propagandist statement that sometimes over estimated. There will be also happy endings in the end of the story. The main character always for someone extremely beautiful/charming person and sometimes the main character (usually woman) always being abused and unlucky before she met the prince charming, like what happen in Bawang Merah Bawang Putih (bullied by her stepmother and sister) same goes to Cinderella, Repunzel (being locked up in a high tower without being able to go out and enjoy her butts out), Sleeping Beauty (being cursed by a witch), and Snow White (her stepmother hate her because of her beauty?—over dramatic don’t you think?). oh well, when I was a kid I always dreamt of being a princess, beautiful, gorgeous princess and have a prince that waiting for me in a beautiful castle – until my elder sister ruin it by scarring my face LOL :D but when I grow up I just figured it out a little but ( or maybe huge) of lies on it. First of all, there is no way that a cursed will be vanished by just one kiss or a true love kiss. That’s just insane. If u doesn’t believe it, try cursed yourself out and ask your boyfriend to kiss you, and see whether it works. Ohh, I just thought that every good luck is just for pretty lady with a good heart and to marry the prince. But I just wonder how about for not-good-looking girl with just a great heart? Doesn’t she deserve it too? In real life sometimes it’s not always a happy ending. Don’t you think so?

I do not say every fairy tale story is not good, and I don’t say that we have to make it real and boring. We can be creative in creating the characters. There’s several tale story that I really like such as Sang Kancil (with sang buaya, sang harimau and etc) whoever the story teller is, he’s great. He picks the character very carefully, as like sang kancil is the main character. As we know this animal are small but brilliant. It can easily protect itself without being eaten. Where sang harimau/tiger is a very strong animal but sometimes we look at it as symbolize of arrogant. Well, a fairy tale/tale story is all about telling children a good moral value, what a good thing to do and what shouldn’t. Well, in this story, we don’t want the child to be arrogant until they make themselves look stupid. That was a good thing. Look, we don’t have to pick up a ‘fancy’ character to educate children or to attract the attention. I read this story to my little brother and little cousin (a girl) and they just enjoy it and want me to read to them every night. The best part is, they easily learnt the great value from this story.

If you ask me, doesn’t ‘fancy’ fairy tales give us a good moral value too? Like ‘u get what u deserved’ in Cinderella? Well yeah they did. BUT, whether they realized or no they also give a huge impact of certain people. By using only beautiful people who always is being a good person and the main character. For example, in Cinderella, she is beautiful and gorgeous and she also nice. And the evil stepsisters are ugly inside and outside. Don’t you ever wonder why in fairy tale the good one always is very pretty and the bad one is really ugly? The truth is as we can see I real life, the good looking person sometimes can be really bad than the ugly person. The worst part is, they can be super evil with two faces. They can hide the ‘evilness’ inside their beauty looks. Well, let us face it, what would happen if we tell a Cinderella story for someone who is fat or too thin? Doesn’t she felt that she was similar to Cinderella stepsister? And this will make them less self esteem and unhappy about themselves. Oh well, I know that u will say that there are unnecessary for telling the children about this fairy tale story or we can read another story. There is so many fairy tales in this world so we don’t have to stick on this Cinderella story. But still every main character in each fairy tale is super pretty and gorgeous, too soft that sometimes depend on luck. Sometimes I felt that the creator of the story imagined that the women in the main character are too weak that couldn’t stand on their own feet and too soft like what happen in Cinderella and Snow White. They let their step mother bullied them and never try to escape from the situation. All they willing to do is just wait for the prince to save them. Well for me in this new era, women have to stand on their own. We have to be strong, speak out and independent. I don’t think some fairy tale could help children to build confidence. Don’t you think?

No comments: